I've read many times that in large families it is common to "forget" one of the kids at home. (or worse, somewhere else!)
Well, it had never happened to us before yesterday.
Steven is off this week and we decided to get some Taco Bell for lunch. We all rushed around and hurried into the van. I got Elise in and turned and Matthew wasn't there. So I ran back inside to find him sitting at the table, eating some crackers. Silly boy. So, I sent him out and was about to lock the front door.
Steven was putting Matthew in his carseat and I asked, "is everyone out there?" He said everyone was, so I locked up and closed the door. We got in, backed out of the driveway and we were on our way.
We had already left our neighborhood when Johanna said, "Danielle, does my hair look pretty?" She pauses... "Danielle?... Where's Danielle?" Katie turns around to see Danielle's empty seat and gasps... "We forgot Danielle!!!" Then i turn around and sure enough... no Danielle!
Steven turned around immediately and sped home. He really did speed, haha. No so much because we were worried about her, but because we knew she'd be scared!
We got home and Katie ran in to find her crying on the couch. Poor Danielle! She said she had run down the basement to find her shoe and came up and the house was empty. She checked every room and found no one. Then she looked outside and no van.
Not long after she got in the van she was laughing. She saw the humor in it just as we did.
Now we can never say that we have never forgotten anyone at home...
That story is going to be a favorite at family reunions in the future, haha :).
ReplyDelete