Yesterday was Father's day. I am pretty sure it wasn't the best one ever for Steven, but I think it was ok. I feel bad, because he helped me clean the house, twice. I planned to do it all myself. He's faster than I am though and he doesn't get distracted by the kids as much.. or ever, lol. So he just gets it done. I love that.. but... I wanted him to not have to do it on Father's Day. Still, I don't think he minded too much.
I tried my hardest to be nice.. not nag, or bother him to help me with the kids. Not complain when he smoked his cigar (yuck!) or when he took a little nap. I also didn't bother him to help me get the kids ready for church. What I realized is, I got them ready in time anyway. In fact, I think I spend MORE time on Sunday mornings trying to get him to help me than it would take just to do it myself! Maybe he should help me with them more on Sunday mornings, but on Father's Day, I didn't say anything.
Know what? It felt good. It felt nice to not feel upset, it was nice to have a peaceful morning, to get to church on time and not feel defeated before I even get there. It was nice knowing I didn't crush his spirit before we even walked out the door. All because it was Father's Day. Then I thought, every day should be like father's day. It would benefit our whole family if I treated Steven as if it was his special day all the time. I know my husband, he wouldn't take advantage of it. In fact, I know the opposite would happen. He'd be happier, and in turn I know he'd step up and be the man he wants to be! I love him, I don't want to beat him down.
Next Father's Day I want to look back and be proud of how I treated him the year before. Father's Day everyday, it's not that hard. :)
Lee doesn't really help getting ready for church either other than reminding the children to stay on task. It used to really bother me until I was reminded once that the Lord gave *me* to *him* as his help meet and he needed me to get the children ready for church. He wasn't given to me as a help meet but as a provider (which he does wonderfully) a protector(I *know* he would give his life for me and he protects me from smaller things like my own wild emotions on a daily basis, haha) and a spiritual leader (when he's home he always leads in prayer and our family worship, etc.). And he does help most of the time with other things when he's home, with dishes and baths and general cleanup, etc. and he picks up a *lot* of the slack when I'm pregnant. In fact, I think he actually helps out so much that I had come to expect it in many ways instead of just being appreciative when he does. I know he would help if I said something but I really see it as almost a test for myself, testing myself to see if I truly am his help meet or if I just like to pretend to be when it's easy, haha :). He leaves his clothes laying everywhere too which also used to bother me until I started seeing it as my special ministry to him, to keep his clothes clean and organized, instead of just another chore. Those are the only two things that really have the potential to bug me, that's not so bad :). I am so thankful for him :).
ReplyDelete