Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Words on Wednesday: Allergist Update


Now that all the pregnant/not pregnant drama is over, I need to update on Matthew's allergist appts.
The day I took him to get his scratch test I was a wreck. :( The whole way there I had to fight tears with everything I had... there were times I couldn't fight it though.  I kept looking back at Matthew, in his carseat, so quiet, sweet and innocent.. no clue what was going on.
We got there and there was a playhouse.. he loved that... and legos.  He got to take the legos with us back to the room.
The allergist is SO nice... LOVED her.  She was so understanding.  She told us that we shouldn't get rid of our cat because it would probably do more (emotional) harm than good.  She took time and listened to me, unlike the dermatologist.
She was in awe of the fact that Matthew has FIVE sisters, lol.. she kept asking questions and saying she couldn't believe it! haha! She said I must be very organized, lol.. if she only knew....
When the time came for his scratch test, he started to cry, I think he knew something was going on.  He screamed when they cleaned his back with the alcohol wipe, I think it was because of the few spots of eczema on his lower back.  Then they poked him with a little pin, probably 30-40 times... I didn't count and put the allergen on his skin.  He CRIED so hard... he kept calling for Daddy. :(
Then he had to lie there for 15-20 minutes and wait to see how his skin reacted.  There were a couple spots that had a tiny bump, but nothing significant.  They said that sometimes people will have huge welts all over their back... so I was very thankful that he didn't react like that.
She said there was a VERY small reaction (not even worth mentioning until I asked about food allergies) to fish and eggs.  So she said to not give him fish oil anymore... Not sure if it was because of his slight allergy or not... She said, let it run it's course.. that it's common and he'll outgrow it.  She wanted to see him back when he was having a flare up.

One week later I brought him back and she said he def. needed to be on steroid cream because he looked kind of bad (although better than he usually does with a flare up).  She also wanted to put him on an antibiotic, but I chose to not do that.  I think Matthew doesn't do too well with antibiotics so we are trying to keep him off of them unless absolutely necessary.  In fact we are going to try probiotics soon.. if we ever get to Whole Foods!
It took a couple days and his skin looked better on steroids.. right now I am giving them to him every other day trying to keep it under control and still putting aquafor on him everyday. Here soon I am going to give him steroids every two days and see what happens, maybe I can wean him off, while still giving him the antihistimines daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment