Thursday, February 16, 2012

Thursday's Thoughts: the kids and salvation

I look at things different now than I used to about the kids and salvation.  Before, I didn't talk much about it with them.  I mean, I said, Jesus died on the cross, etc, etc... and Jesus is in your heart, etc etc.. but not much else.  I know Katie is saved now, but we never had a moment with her where I just knew it clicked.  It was just something that slowly developed over the years. I know she gets it now.

Danielle came home from AWANA club one night when she was 5 and said she asked Jesus into her heart.  I am not sure if she totally understood it, and I think she felt pressured into it at the time.  At the same time, I knew she believed, I had taught her, but it also wasn't a defining moment in her life.  I am still waiting for it to totally "click" with her, but I know she loves God, wants to serve Him and she does believe and want to be saved.
((Update))
After blogging about this I talked to Danielle.  I told her that I wasn't sure if she truly gave her heart to Jesus, or understood what or why she was doing it, when she was 5.  Afterall, I did not know the leaders, I don't know what they told her - they basically sent her alone to pray.  I asked her if she has ever prayed a similar prayer since that one time at AWANA.  She said no.  Not that she isn't saved because of that, because I know God knows her heart, but I had the sneaking suspiscion that she had not truly surrendered her heart to God.  I explained that to her.  How God begins to change your heart after you give it to Him.  He can help take away the bitterness and jealousy, anger, and pride once you do this. I will never claim to "know" where my kids' hearts are with God.. I know it is not up to me if they are saved and I can't decide if they are or not.. only God knows the heart.  However there are things that we can see.. fruits and an openness to God.. that I wasn't *quite* seeing... it was like she was *almost* there, but she'd just sometimes shut down when I'd talk to her.  Well, the first place to start is giving your heart to Jesus and she understood that... and did it! :) Since then, (it's only been a day) we've had to talk to her about some attitudes, and she did seem more receptive than usual.. so who knows! I know God will do a work in her life and I am excited to see the amazing things that will come from it! 

Then there was Johanna.  I started seeing things differently with her.  She was in K4 at the church school.  Lollie Hofer was her teacher.  I was there every Wed helping out and as the months and weeks led up to Easter, Lollie was teaching the girls about sin, the penalty of sin, how Jesus died on the cross for our sins and the resurrection.  She did this over a period of many weeks so she went into great detail, careful to answer any questions the girls might have. 
One day, on a day I was not helping out, Johanna really expressed interest and asked Lollie how she could go to heaven.  That she did not like the sin in her heart and wanted God to take it away. Lollie helped lead her to Jesus, but was careful to make sure Johanna understood and said the prayer herself in her own words.  I trust that Lollie did great with this. :)
I wouldn't say the change was instant.. but I know her heart has changed.  She is developing into a girl after God's heart! :)   She is showing some understanding and she loves to worship. She's 7, so of course it hasn't totally "clicked" for her either, but she's getting it.
Jeanne told me yesterday that Johanna told her that Alaina had asked why we have owies.. and Johanna explained to her all about Adam and Eve and how they sinned and the Garden of Eden! lol! I am surprised that Johanna even gets the concept of sin entering this world and that is why things are the way they are.  Imperfect, corrupt, etc.  She's slowly coming around.. now if we could get the behavior to line up, haha! Pastor Don always says, you get her heart on the right track and she won't turn from God.  I hope that will be true with her! :)

Alaina and Matthew aren't quite there yet, but like I said, I see things differently now. I am working on them slowly.  Trying to prepare their hearts for what God wants to do with them, and then just wait.  We have a lot of conversations about this.  Alaina asks a lot of questions that are hard to answer.  Like why didn't God make us magic.  Or why didn't he do this or that? Or why do things happen? when you attempt to answer her she is not happy with the answer.. so she is tough one.  She doesn't seem to understand.  I know God is going to do a work in her life though so for now I just wait.  She talks a lot about wanting to go to Heaven. Today she said, "how come it takes so long to go to Heaven?" I told her that God has a purpose for her here on earth, a job to do. First she will get saved, when she understands, then she will tell others about Jesus so they can be saved, too.  She then asked me about our neighbor, Aiden. "Does he know Jesus?" That, I don't know, but I don't think so... So, I told her she should tell him about Jesus.

Matthew, on the other hand, although it might still be a couple years, he seems to be on track to getting it. Today in the car, he said, "mommy, I want to wash my sins..." So, I told him that Jesus will wash his sins, when he gets saved, all his sins are washed away.  He went on to say he wants them washed because they hurt, lol. He then  said a few minutes later, "crocodiles can bite me if I am in the water". To this, I did agree. He went on to say, "but God would save me." haha.. so he's getting the idea, but obviously learning that by God's grace he will be saved from hell and get to spend eternity with God by surrendering his life to Him and believing in his heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross for his sins.. well, that's a little complex.  I tried to explain it anyway. 
We'll get there eventually, but I am glad that I am beginning to understand my role in this.  I need to take an active part in this, and I am trying.  Doing my best to help them understand.  God will do the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment