Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Words on Wednesday: Quilting

Katie, Danielle and I have been quilting with some ladies from the church.  So far it's been a fun process... something I've wanted to learn and teach them for a long time, so very thankful for the opportunity.  Katie's quilt is a lot of bright colors and flowers (pictured), Danielle's is wolves, horses, greens and camoflauge. :) So excited to see how they turn out, but mostly I am just happy to do this with them and get the time with them.  I've enjoyed it so much that I want to go and pick out fabric with Johanna and Alaina, too... and let them stay up a little late individually to "help" me.  I've truly loved it so much! Last night we got Katie's squares started.  Tonight we'll work on Danielle's some.
I'll be updating our progress on here from time to time with pictures.  Next I will do one for our new baby boy so that will be a lot of fun too. 
After they make their quilts they will no longer be going to the quilting meetings.  I guess I didn't plan on having them come anyway because they will be done with their quilts, but I do feel a little bummed about the circumstances... the quilting group will be an adult only group from now on, so that kind of takes away the most important part to me which comes from Titus 2:3-5 "the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things— 4 that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, 5 to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed."
I just feel it is very important that our preteens and teens have this opportunity. Being only around their peers is not good because they can only learn so much from them.  I LOVED the idea of having them around women I trust and respect to set an example for them.  Of course they have me and I am the most important example, but since we live so far from family and they don't have grandmas, aunts and older cousins around regularly, the church is all I have... At the same time, I do understand.... but idk....
So, I am not sure yet, but I *might* not be going after they are done with their quilts because it just takes away precious time that I rarely get with them anyway because of our short chaotic evenings on school days. Makes me a little sad... even though like I said, they probably wouldn't have gone anyway after these quilts are done, I just hoped they could again in the future sometime.
haha, I didn't plan on writing about that.. just an update... That's okay, it's just what was on my heart this morning I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment